Yet another twist on a classic dessert, all courtesy of that thing called Christmas!
Recently I posted a recipe for my Chocolate Orange Brownies and this dessert brings them into a whole new light. Topped with creamy chocolate orange custard, fresh whipped cream and chocolate brownie crumbs these little trifle pots are bursting with flavour and super easy to make (just THREE steps). Sitting pretty in glass jam jars, these trifles also also make perfect homemade Christmas gifts for friends and family – just store in the fridge and pop the lid on top.
Note: I used leftover chocolate orange brownies but if you don’t make homemade brownies, you can use shop bought (the Co-Operative in the UK sell chocolate orange brownies but otherwise, standard brownies will do).
Ingredients (makes four individual pots or one medium sized trifle):
For the custard
- 100g dark chocolate
- 500ml ready-made refrigerated custard ( I used Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Madagascan Vanilla)
- 1 orange (zest only) or 1 tsp orange essence
For the bottom brownie layer
- 4 medium sized chocolate orange brownies (homemade or regular shop bought)
For the topping
- 300ml double cream, whipped
- Brownie crumbs
- Chocolate orange shavings or whole segments
- Firstly, break up the chocolate and add to a saucepan along with the custard and orange zest (unless you’re using orange essence). On a low heat, melt the chocolate into the custard then remove from the heat to cool. Cover the saucepan with clingfilm to prevent from curdling
- Crush the brownies into pieces and place into your sterilised jam jars, pressing down to form a level base. Once the custard is cool, you can pour it through a sieve to rid of the orange zest (this is optional – if you’re using orange essence, you can also ignore this step)
- Pour your prepared custard on top of the brownie layer then top with the whipped cream, leftover brownie crumbs and some chocolate orange segments. Store in the fridge until ready to serve. The trifles can keep up to two days
Enjoy, Nic x