Now, I am aware that this isn’t an entirely new thing and people have been eating the two together for some time, but it’s new to me and I am OBSESSED. Earlier this week I posted a delicious breakfast recipe featuring this pairing and this post includes an equally tasty dessert/party option in the form of cupcakes!
The base is light, fluffy and rich in banana, all made better with a creamy, sweet, nutty peanut butter icing which will send your tastebuds wild. Honestly, I really do recommend you try this recipe, even if it’s just to devour the buttercream by the bowl.
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
- 1 mashed banana
- 100g caster sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temp
- 140g self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the PB buttercream:
- 125g unsalted butter
- 175g icing sugar, sifted
- 125g smooth peanut butter
- 1tbsp whole milk
- Banana crisps (for decoration)
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 175 degrees C and place 12 cupcake cases into a cupcake baking tray. Next mash your banana into a bowl with a metal spoon/fork and set aside
- Add the sugar and butter to a mixing bowl and cream together with an electric mixer (or by hand) until light and fluffy. Next, add the eggs and beat for a further 30 seconds before adding the flour and bicarbonate of soda. Mix thoroughly until fully combined and then fold in the milk and banana, mixing again with the electric mixer (or by hand) until you have a smooth and creamy cake batter
- Place the cake batter into the cake cases until two thirds full then pop into the oven for 20-25 minutes until the sponge is a light golden brown a cake tester comes out clean
- Whilst the cakes are cooling, begin to make your butter cream by adding the butter and peanut butter to a mixing bowl, and beat with an electric mixer (or by hand) until smooth and fully combined
- Next, slowly add the icing sugar, mixing as you go with your electric mixer until you have a smooth, creamy icing
- Once the cupcakes are completely cooled, scoop a generous topping of the buttercream onto each (decorating as you like) and serve!
Enjoy, Nic x