So in case you haven’t guessed, we’re pretty obsessed with Oreos! So when we made these delicious cupcakes for an event last week, we weren’t too surprised by how quickly they were gone.
We don’t know what it is about these little guys that makes them so irresistible but who are we to not give the people what they want?
This recipe will give you a soft and chocolatey sponge topped with a sweet and creamy Oreo frosting. So good, you’ll want to keep all twelve to yourself!
• 125g caster sugar
• 125g self raising flour, sifted
• 125g butter, at room temp
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 20g cocoa powder, sifted
• 1 tbsp milk
For the frosting:
• 75g cream cheese
• 175g icing sugar, sifted
• 50g butter, at room temp
• 8 Oreo biscuits, crushed
- First things first, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. In a mixing bowl, begin to cream together the butter and sugar until you get a light, fluffy mixture
- Next, add the beaten eggs to the mixture and stir whilst adding the sifted flour and cocoa powder. Add the milk, then mix everything together until well combined, resulting in a smooth and chocolatey mixture
- Divide the mixture evenly (two thirds full) amongst the 12 cupcake cases and place in the oven for 20 minutes – or until risen and firm to touch
- Set aside to cool and begin to make the best bit, the icing! Start by placing 8 Oreo’s into a thick, plastic sandwich bag and smash with a rolling pin until they become fine crumbs (alternatively, you can use a food processor to do this but I quite like this part). Set aside in a separate bowl
- In a mixing bowl, begin to cream together the butter and cream cheese before adding the sifted icing sugar to thicken. When you have a smooth and creamy icing, fold in 3/4 of the crumbed Oreo’s (save the rest for decorating) then begin to ice your cupcakes
- For a finishing touch, sprinkle your iced cupcakes with the remaining crumbs and enjoy!